Narrative 4 Story Exchange Workshops
“It is important that we share our experiences with other people. Your story will heal you and it will heal someone else. When you tell your story you free yourself and give other people permission to acknowledge their own story.”
– Iyanla Vanzant
A highly effective way to:-
- Promote acceptance, empathy and unity
- Promote community cohesion
- Provide a platform for people to have a voice and have their stories honoured
- Provide a creative platform to reflect, connect and care
- Provide the opporunity to ‘walk in someone else’s shoes’
FREE workshops for secondary and primary schools in Northamptonshire
We have always known that stories have the power to enlighten, to empower and to create change, and, as individuals and as a company we are always on a journey to improve and expand our understanding and practice.
In late 2019 (just before the world changed) our creative director, Sean McGrath, travelled to the USA to participate in a facilitator training workshop with NYC based Narrative 4. He got hooked!
Narrative 4 is a global network of educators, students and artists who use art and storytelling to build empathy while equipping participants to improve their communities and the world. Using their core methodology, the StoryExchange, they help communities understand that their voices, stories, actions and lives matter, and that they have the power to change, rebuild and revolutionise systems (visit N4’s website and find out more here).
“The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed.”
– Carl Gustav Jung
Sean has decided to make it his mission to get a Narative 4 StoryExchange into as many schools as he possibly can, as he truly believes in their simple power to help create positive change, connection, curiosity and compassion.
As such, throughout January to July 2022, AlterEgo are offering schools in Northamptonshire (where Sean is based) a COMPLETELY FREE after-school story exchange for staff. His hope is that, once school staff have experienced it, they will build it into their work, develop their skills and begin to run exchanges themselves with the children and young people. If all goes well he is hoping to find match funding to run the sessions out to schools throughout the whole of the UK.
All we need is a space to hold the workshop, a minimum of 10 particpants and maximum of 16. Each staff member will be asked to bring a story from their own lives that they are willing to share.
An example brief may be to bring story about…
- A time where you witnessed, or participated in, an act of compassion
- The best elements of living within a community. We live in many communities in our lives. Pick one that is important to you and tell us why?
- A game-changing moment in your life. This may be anchored in joy, pain, humour, fear, embarrassment etc. – whatever you feel brave enough to share!
- A story about when you felt invincible
- A story about when you felt invisible
- A story that you feel is emblematic of who you believe you are. If it was dug up in 100 years time it would reveal the essence of who you are
Between Janaury and July 2022 we are able to deliver one session each week on either a Monday or Tuesday after school, so places are limited. For more information or to check availablity for a FREE N4 StoryExchange workshop for the staff in your school (primary or secondary) please contact us.
“The power of storytelling is exactly this: to bridge the gaps where everything else has crumbled.”
– Paulo Coelho