Chelsea’s Story Raising awareness around Child Sexual Exploitation
“AlterEgo’s ‘Chelsea’s Story’ is an innovative and powerful production which effectively highlights the very serious and emotional issue of child sexual exploitation. “
– Sheila Taylor, NWG Network
‘Chelsea’s Story’ is our internationally renowned Applied Theatre Production that has proven highly successful in raising awareness around the issues surrounding Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE). The play, which has now been seen by thousands of professionals and over 1 million young people throughout the UK, is followed by an actor facilitated post-show talk exploring the issues raised.
It tells the story of a group of students who discover the diary of a girl called Chelsea. Chelsea was a 15 year old girl who, having fallen out with her friends and family, met a guy called Gary. Gary was kind, understanding, had a nice car, had his own flat and listened to her. Unfortunately Gary was not what he seemed to be! Chelsea’s story is played out and examined by the students who, along with their teacher, attempt to understand what happened to Chelsea.
The play has been seen by over 1.3 million young people & thousands of professionals & has proven highly effective at covering:-
- What makes a Healthy Relationship
- What makes an Unhealthy Relationship
- Safe Internet Use/Sexting
- What is Consent
- The Grooming Process, Child Sexual Exploitation & the differing methods
- Avoiding Victim Blaming
- Where to go for help & advice
For adult audiences it also:-
- Raises Awareness of ‘The Warning Signs of CSE’
- Raises Awareness of the journey that young people may have been on that has resulted in them being exploited – a journey that can all too easily make it seem as though they have ‘made their own choices’ and can leave them not seeing themselves as victims and fighting against any intervention.
“AlterEgo’s ‘Chelsea’s Story’ creatively tackles the issue of child sexual exploitation, exploring the different ways that young people can be drawn into abusive relationships and illustrating some of the consequences.”
– Nathalie Walters, former Chief Executive, Safe and Sound Derby
AlterEgo are proud to be members of The NWG Network and often seek their help and advice to ensure that the script and post-show talk are current and correct.
Running Time 60 minutes
Get In 1 hr
Get Out 15 mins
Cast Size 3
Performance Space 4m x 4m
Staging Ground Level – End On
- Young People (year 7+)
- Parents, carers, teachers & professionals working with young people
Leaflet for YP (front)
Leaflet for YP (back)