AlterEgo’s ‘Chelsea’s Story’ is an innovative and powerful production highlighting the very serious and emotional issue of child sexual exploitation. The production shows how young people, boys and girls, are groomed by adults for the purposes of sexual exploitation using various methods, ensnaring young people and eventually taking complete control and dominating their whole lives. The audience will gain a better understanding of the devastating impact that sexual exploitation has on a young person’s life. This is a very useful and innovative way of raising awareness of the issues relating to sexual exploitation and reaching young people, giving them some skills and knowledge to be able to protect themselves from this form of abuse.
– Sheila Taylor, National Working Group for Sexually Exploited Children and Young People
Target audience :-
- Young people (year 7+)
- Parents, carers, teachers & professionals working with young people
- The Police & the CPS
- The play is NOT suitable for young people that have already been identified as having suffered trauma or abuse. Consultation with the young person, family and professionals should be undertaken before delivery to determine suitability and benefits of watching.
‘Chelsea’s Story’ is our internationally renowned, hard-hitting Applied Theatre Production that has proven highly successful in raising awareness around the issues surrounding Child Sexual Exploitation (CSE). The play, which has now been seen by hundreds of professionals and over 950,000 young people throughout the UK, is followed by an actor facilitated post-show talk exploring the issues raised.
It tells the story of a group of three students who discover the diary of a girl called Chelsea. Chelsea was a 15 year old girl who, having fallen out with her friends and family, met a guy called Gary. Gary was kind, understanding, had a nice car, had his own flat and listened to her. Unfortunately Gary was not what he seemed to be! Chelsea’s story is played out and examined by the three students who, along with their teacher, attempt to understand what happened to Chelsea.
The play has been seen by thousands of young people & hundreds of professionals & has proven highly effective at covering:-
- What makes a Healthy Relationship
- What makes an Unhealthy Relationship
- Safe Internet Use/Sexting
- What is Consent
- The Grooming Process, Child Sexual Exploitation & the differing methods
- Avoiding Victim Blaming
- Where to go for help & advice
For adult audiences it also:-
- Raises Awareness of ‘The Warning Signs of CSE’
- Raises Awareness of the journey that young people may have been on that has resulted in them being exploited – a journey that can all too easily make it seem as though they have ‘made their own choices’ and can leave them not seeing themselves as victims and fighting against any intervention.
Raising young peoples’ awareness of child sexual exploitation is key in helping to prevent them from becoming victims of this crime. AlterEgo’s safeguarding drama, ‘Chelsea’s Story’, does this by creatively tackling the issue of child sexual exploitation, exploring the different ways that young people can be drawn into abusive relationships and illustrating some of the consequences.
– Nathalie Walters, Chief Executive, Safe and Sound Derby
AlterEgo are proud to be members of The NWG Network and often seek their help and advice to ensure that the script and post-show talk are current and correct.
Show Title Chelsea’s Story
Author Sean McGrath
Production Rights Gemini Creative Limited
Producer AlterEgo CS Ltd
Running Time 60 minutes (including post-show talk)
Get In 1 hr
Get Out 30 mins
Cast Size 4
Performance Space 4m x 4m
Staging Ground Level – End On
Leaflet for YP (front)
Leaflet for YP (back)